Idea #20 | Stay ‘Cool’, Energy Efficient, and Eco-Friendly

//Idea #20 | Stay ‘Cool’, Energy Efficient, and Eco-Friendly

Idea #20 | Stay ‘Cool’, Energy Efficient, and Eco-Friendly

Although often overlooked, air conditioning takes a surprising toll on the environment. In the United States, air conditioning units use 6% of all electricity produced and release 117 million metric tons of CO2 into the air each year, the EPA reports. Moreover, air conditioning also accounts for almost half the total energy use in each home and costs homeowners $29 billion annually. Fortunately, there are eco-friendly changes we can make to make our air conditioning systems, so they’re more energy-efficient, kinder to the environment, and stay running smoothly all year round. Use the following tips to keep yourself cool and comfortable without having such a negative impact on the environment or bank balance.  

Install a programmable thermostat

Using a programmable thermostat will reduce your energy consumption and prevent your AC unit from overworking. A programmable thermostat can be set so the air conditioning runs only when you really need it to. For example, when you’re at work, out for the day, or asleep at night, there’s no need to have the cold air blasting at home. Simply set your thermostat to turn the unit off when you don’t need it and back on when you do. EPA-approved Energy Star programmed thermostats can save 10-15% on heating and cooling bills. In fact, if everyone switched to Energy Star, it would prevent 900 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions annually — equivalent to the emissions of 80, 000 cars!

Use a two-stage air compressor

Unlike a standard air compressor, a two-stage air compressor operates on two different settings: low and high. It’s designed to run on low about 80% of the time and the remaining 20% on high. It therefore uses less energy than a standard air compressor. It also efficiently cools the home gradually — rather than blasting cold air every so often — which means the temperature of your home stays consistent. Moreover, the cooling cycles with a two-stage air compressor last longer meaning the unit doesn’t turn off and on so often. Using a two-stage air compressor will help your air conditioning use less energy and run more efficiently.

Replace the air filter often

Check and clean the air filter at least once every two months and replace it when needed. If it gets bunged up with dust and debris, it’ll become less efficient and eventually stop working altogether. You should also clean both the evaporator coil and condenser coil. Doing so will minimize the risk of your air conditioning breaking and needing repairs. If you have an old AC unit, you may want to replace it with a modern, energy-efficient one. Air conditioning units over ten years old aren’t as environmentally friendly as the standards we have today.

Calling out a professional to regularly check your air conditioning is essential for keeping it running smoothly. They’ll identify and fix small issues before they develop into bigger problems and suggest other ways you can make your unit more energy efficient. Taking the steps to make your air conditioner more eco-friendly will keep it running smoothly throughout the year, save you money on bills and repairs, and ultimately help protect the environment.

Writer: Sally Keys is a professional freelance writer with many years experience across many different areas. She made the move to freelancing from a stressful corporate job and loves the work-life balance it offers her. When not at work, Sally enjoys reading, hiking, spending time with her family and traveling as much as possible.

2018-11-25T22:17:27+01:00September 6, 2018|stories|Comments Off on Idea #20 | Stay ‘Cool’, Energy Efficient, and Eco-Friendly